Wallpaper is a popular interior wall décor choice for many homeowners. It is known for its versatility and aesthetic appeal. However, over time, it can become outdated, damaged, or simply no longer reflect your personal style or the current design trends. In such cases, removing and replacing wallpaper can bring about a transformative change to your living spaces.
In this article, we are going to give you more information about removing and replacing wallpaper. This way, you’ll further understand the process of removing wallpaper, how to replace it, the other options aside from wallpaper, and the benefits of updating your interior walls.
Common Wallpaper Removal and Replacement Issues
Removing and replacing wallpaper can be a rewarding home improvement project. However, it also comes with challenges. Below are some of the common issues that people may encounter during the wallpaper removal and replacement process:
Wallpaper Removal Issues
- Stripping the wallpaper aggressively: It is true that removing wallpaper is a tedious task, and most people want to do it as fast as they can. However, when removing wallpaper, it is better to take your time, remain calm, and be patient as you strip the wallpaper. This way, you’ll be able to avoid damaging the drywall and causing more removal mistakes.
- Using the wrong tools: Another common issue when it comes to removing wallpaper is using the wrong tools. Doing this may damage your walls, making the task longer and more difficult. Therefore, investing in quality tools that are made specifically for removing wallpaper is important.
- Removing too much wallpaper at once and too quickly: If you remove a lot of wallpaper at once and too fast, you may also cause damage to the drywall. To prevent this from happening, it is better to remove some wallpaper at a time and not rush the process.
- Not wearing the right clothing and safety gear: You also need to make sure that you wear the proper clothes and gear when removing wallpaper. This way, you can ensure that you’re protected during the project. It is a good idea to wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty and can be washed easily.
Wallpaper Replacement Issues
- Adhesive residue: After removing old wallpaper, adhesive residue may remain on the wall surface, making applying new wallpaper or paint challenging. With this, you need to use wallpaper adhesive removers, such as commercial solutions or a mixture of water and vinegar, to soften and remove the residue. Make sure that you thoroughly clean and prepare the wall before applying new wallpaper or paint.
- Damaged drywall: Drywall can sometimes be damaged after wallpaper removal, making it hard to apply new wallpaper or paint. Therefore, it is important to repair the damaged drywall first by filling holes and cracks using joint compound or spackle. Sand the repaired areas smoothly before proceeding with the new wallpaper or paint.
- Peeling seams: Wallpaper seams may begin to peel over time, creating unsightly gaps. These need to be re-glued or re-pasted using wallpaper adhesives.
- Trapped air bubbles: If there are trapped air bubbles in the newly applied wallpaper, you will need to have a glue injector, knife, and seam adhesive. Begin by making a small incision along the air bubbles, then inject some glue in it and press it down. Wipe off any excess glue using a clean cloth.
- Curled seams: This happens when not enough glue is applied at the edges of the wallpaper. To fix this issue, dampen the seam using warm water, lift the paper, and add more paste underneath. After that, apply a bit of pressure to the seam to smoothen it and wipe off any excess glue.
Advantages of Hiring Professional Wallpaper Removal Services
Hiring professional wallpaper removal services offers several advantages, making it a wise choice for those planning to undertake a wallpaper removal project. Below are some of the advantages that you can get from hiring professional wallpaper removal services:
Expertise and Experience
Professional wallpaper removal services have experienced technicians who are well-trained in the proper techniques for removing wallpaper efficiently and without damaging the underlying surfaces. They understand different types of wallpaper and adhesives, which allows them to choose the most suitable removal methods.
Professionals are equipped with the right tools and equipment to expedite the wallpaper removal process. They can finish the job much faster than an inexperienced individual, saving you valuable time and effort.
Improper wallpaper removal can damage drywall or plaster, leading to costly repairs. Professionals know how to remove wallpaper without harming the underlying wall surface, reducing the risk of wall damage.
Wallpaper removal usually involves the use of chemicals and steam, which can be potentially hazardous if not handled correctly. Professionals are trained to use these materials, safely minimizing health risks for everyone.
Professionals ensure that all wallpaper adhesive and residue remnants are completely removed, leaving a clean and smooth surface. This is important for a successful wallpaper replacement or painting project.
Hiring experts ensures a high-quality finish. Whether you plan to apply new wallpaper or paint, a well-prepared surface is important for achieving a professional and attractive result.
Professional wallpaper removal services can tailor their approach to the specific type of wallpaper and adhesive used in your home. They can adapt to different challenges and provide customized solutions, ensuring the best outcome.
Minimized Stress and Hassle
Removing wallpaper can be a tedious and frustrating task, particularly for those without experience. Hiring professionals removes the burden, allowing you to focus on other aspects of your home improvement project.
Access to Specialized Tools
Professional wallpaper removal services have access to specialized tools and equipment, such as wallpaper scrapers and steamers, that may not be readily available to homeowners. These tools can make the removal process more efficient and effective.
Consultation and Advice
Professionals can provide valuable advice on wallpaper replacement options, such as suitable materials and designs. They can also help make informed decisions based on your preferences and budget.
Alternatives to Wallpaper
If you no longer want to install new wallpaper to your interior walls after the old one has been removed, there are many other options to choose from. If you are looking for alternatives to wallpaper for decorating your walls, below are some of the popular alternatives:
- Paint: Painting your walls is a classic and versatile option. You can pick from a virtually limitless range of colors and finishes, such as glossy, matte, or textured paint. It is also relatively cost-effective and allows for easy color changes when you want to update your décor or interior walls. Custom Painting, Inc. has the best painters in Livermore to help you paint your interior walls after wallpaper removal.
- Wall decals or stickers: These decals come in different designs and sizes, from simple geometric shapes to intricate patterns and custom graphics. They are easy to apply and remove, making them a temporary and customizable option.
- Murals: Wall murals are large-scale artworks that can cover an entire wall or a portion of it. They come in different themes, including nature scenes, cityscapes, and abstract designs. These can create a stunning focal point in any room.
- Textured wall panels: Textured wall panels can add depth and dimension to your walls. They come in a range of materials like wood, stone, or 3D panels that mimic different textures. These panels can give an elegant and unique look to your space.
- Fabric wall coverings: Fabric panels or stretched fabric can add warmth and texture to the walls. They are popularly used in bedrooms and cozy living spaces.
- Faux finish techniques: You can also experiment with faux finish techniques, such as sponging, ragging, or stippling, to create textured and visually interesting walls using paint.
Removing old wallpaper is indeed a challenging process. There are important steps to take and tools to use in order to remove them smoothly and prevent damage to the drywall. Wallpaper installation can seem to be difficult, as it needs precise measurements and smooth application.
Due to the complexity of wallpaper removal, homeowners may not have the time and expertise to work on the job themselves without difficulties. Therefore, hiring professional wallpaper removal services is a better idea, just like what Custom Painting, Inc. offers.
For many years, Custom Painting, Inc. has been working with homeowners and businesses when it comes to painting, light carpentry, and custom installation services. We also have interior painters in Livermore, CA, who can help you remove your old wallpaper and repaint the surfaces, making them look good and new. If you need our services, you may call us at 925-294-8062 or fill out this form to schedule a walkthrough of your property and receive a free estimate.